Yashwant Sinha asks Pak PM to `restrain` ISI from action against Geo TV
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of alleged involvement of ISI in the gun attack at Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Friday urged Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to "restrain" the spy agency from taking punitive step against the private TV channel where Mir works.
Criticising the Pakistan Defence Ministry`s move to withdraw the license given to Geo TV, Sinha said in a letter to Sharif that it will be a highly "vindictive and retrograde" step.
"We in India greatly appreciate the role of media and the judiciary in the reestablishment of democracy in Pakistan. You yourself are a product of this movement. It will be extremely unfortunate, therefore, if harm comes to Mir under your watch.
"I am sure you will continue to support the freedom of press in Pakistan and restrain your government including the ISI from taking any punitive action against the Geo TV. I am sure you will also order a fair and impartial inquiry into this whole episode," Sinha told Sharif.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday