Yunus asks Grameen Bank members to guard against takeover bids
Dhaka: Ousted Grameen Bank founder
Muhammad Yunus has asked 83 lakh members of the bank to guard
against attempts to takeover the pioneering micro-lending
"Grameen Bank is a priceless wealth for you. Do not
give away this to anyone. You are the owners of this bank. Do
not let go of this ownership," Yunus said in a letter
addressed to the bank members, the Daily Star reported.
The Nobel Laureate`s caution came after his
resignation as the managing director of Grameen Bank amid
speculations that his removal was part of a coordinated
government ploy to take the full control of the bank, the
Yunus had said he was quiting to prevent `undue
disruption` in the working of the pioneering microfinance bank
Yunus` resignation came as he lost his final legal
battle in the apex court to thwart a Bangladesh Bank decision
removing him from the position on March 2.
"If anyone speaks about taking away the ownership of
Grameen Bank, if anyone speaks against your bank, then you
must protest against it... If you remain silent, the bank will
be taken away from your possession," he said.
The government controls 25 per cent shares of the bank
in paper, while 75 per cent belongs to the borrowers, the
majority of them are rural women. However, the government now
effectively has only 3.29 per cent share in terms of paid-up
capital and the borrowers own the rest.
"Soon you will be put under difficult tests. You must
prepare yourself from now on to come out successfully from
these tests. If you are able to protect this bank, then your
children and descendants will be benefited from its wealth,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?