Yunus blames education system for mundane youth
Davos: Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus on Sunday
blamed the education system for driving the young to be very
mundane and detracting them from pursuing social objectives.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum, he said that money
is now the king, becoming an "intoxication in the system".
"We don`t have in our education system that vision which
directs what we want to be, what we want to see the world to
be in future. All we want to be a great guy and a celebrity
like him. Vision should be an integral part of the education
system," Yunus said during a panel discussion here.
"In this atmosphere, asking them (people pursuing social
cause) to do exceptional thing. It needs a lot of hard work,"
Yunus, the founder of Grameen Bank in Bangladesh, said
young people with focus on social cause could not pursue their
causes for long as economic structure does not allow them to
function for long.
"Sooner or later, they will be engulfed in. They will be
brought into money making, which I think is wrong," he said.
Yunus said the society does not have any vision and as
soon as some untoward events take place, people get panicked.
"Today, I don`t think we have a vision, we are kind of
floating, minute by minute. And, If there are disturbances
like euro zone disturbances, we get very worried about all
"We forget what this worry is about? What are the things
that will be disturbed by that? Unless we don`t do that
visioning, we know the destination, we will be condemned to
get lost. For me, we are lost," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister