Yunus can`t be Grameen managing director: Dhaka
Dhaka: The Bangladesh government has told a top US official that Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus can return to the Grameen Bank but as its honorary chief, not as the managing director.
Finance Minister AMA Muhith said after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her colleagues met US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Robert Blake on Sunday that "Yunus must leave the post of managing director".
Muhith ruled out the possibility of appointing Yunus as the Grameen chairman -- a solution proposed by the Nobel laureate himself to ensure a smooth handover of leadership to the next managing director.
"A committee has been formed to look into the issue of Grameen Bank. It will also look into the restructuring of the bank. We will have to wait until the committee submits its report," The Daily Star quoted Muhith as saying.
Dhaka told Blake that Yunus, who has challenged his removal before the Supreme Court, should withdraw his petition.
Blake told the Bangladesh leadership that "there is still room for compromise".
"Such a compromise will also allow us to continue very good progress that we made in our bilateral relations," Blake told journalists after an hour-long meeting with Foreign Secretary Mijarul Quayes.
Blake, on a four-day visit to Bangladesh, said: "We discussed Yunus, and I expressed our hope that a compromise will be found that will ensure the integrity and independence of the Grameen Bank."
Early this month, Bangladesh Bank dismissed 70-year-old Yunus as managing director of Grameen Bank saying he was holding the post illegally beyond his 60-year retirement age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Black money: Govt to ban cash transactions of above Rs 3 lakh
- Must see pics! Incredible images of lava from Hawaii’s volcano cascading into the ocean (Photo feature)
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- PM Modi calls for dialogue, accepts development alone can't bring 'lasting solution' to Kashmir
- Seoul, Washington start war game despite Pyongyang's backlash