Yunus can`t be Grameen managing director: Dhaka
Dhaka: The Bangladesh government has told a top US official that Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus can return to the Grameen Bank but as its honorary chief, not as the managing director.
Finance Minister AMA Muhith said after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her colleagues met US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Robert Blake on Sunday that "Yunus must leave the post of managing director".
Muhith ruled out the possibility of appointing Yunus as the Grameen chairman -- a solution proposed by the Nobel laureate himself to ensure a smooth handover of leadership to the next managing director.
"A committee has been formed to look into the issue of Grameen Bank. It will also look into the restructuring of the bank. We will have to wait until the committee submits its report," The Daily Star quoted Muhith as saying.
Dhaka told Blake that Yunus, who has challenged his removal before the Supreme Court, should withdraw his petition.
Blake told the Bangladesh leadership that "there is still room for compromise".
"Such a compromise will also allow us to continue very good progress that we made in our bilateral relations," Blake told journalists after an hour-long meeting with Foreign Secretary Mijarul Quayes.
Blake, on a four-day visit to Bangladesh, said: "We discussed Yunus, and I expressed our hope that a compromise will be found that will ensure the integrity and independence of the Grameen Bank."
Early this month, Bangladesh Bank dismissed 70-year-old Yunus as managing director of Grameen Bank saying he was holding the post illegally beyond his 60-year retirement age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi