Yunus challenges removal from Grameen Bank in High Court
Dhaka: A day after he was sacked as the
chief of the Grameen Bank, Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad
Yunus today challenged his removal in the High Court.
"We have filed a writ petition against the Bangladesh
Bank order relieving him from the post of Managing Director of
the Grameen Bank," his lawyer told PTI.
A two-member High Court bench comprising judges Momtaz
Uddin Ahmed and Gobinda Chandra Thakur will take up the case
Bangladesh Central Bank in an order yesterday removed
Yunus, a celebrated micro-financier as head of the Grameen
Bank, which he founded, citing that he had violated country`s
The government owns 25 per cent stake in the Grameen
Bank, while the rest is held by borrowers.
A leading Supreme Court lawyer Kamal Hossain would
appear on behalf of the 70-year old Yunus.
"It is a legal affair and I have come to discuss it,"
Yunus told newsmen late yesterday after he consulted Hossain
late after receiving the order of his removal.
The micro-financiers firing caps a running battle with
the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in recent
months, during which he has faced a defamation suit by a local
politician alleging that he misappropriated Norwegian
development funds and accusations that he was overage.
A Central Bank official had said, he had been stripped
off his position as his appointment violated the Grameen Bank
Ordinance 1983 that stipulates a Managing Director must be
appointed with prior approval of the central bank.
According to the ordinance, Yunus was serving as a
whole-time officer and the chief executive of the Bank.
Hasina and Yunus recently had a verbal dual when the
micro-financier suggested that he should form his own
Following this tiff, Hasina accused the Nobel laureate
of treating the Grameen Bank as his personal property and
claimed that the group "was sucking blood from the poor".
The development came two days after the 70-year old
Nobel Laureate apparently was exposed to a fresh trouble on
retirement age issue as the central bank in a letter to the
government reportedly said he was flouting Bangladesh
retirement rules by serving as head of his Grameen Bank.
According to media reports Bangladesh Bank in a letter
to the finance ministry had said that Yunus had passed the
retirement age of 60.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow