Zardari, Bilawal greet Hindus on Diwali
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has greeted Hindus on the occasion of Diwali with a call to strengthen interfaith harmony and a pledge to protect the rights of minorities.
"I wish to extend on my behalf and on behalf of the people of Pakistan heartiest greetings to members of the Hindu community on the occasion of Diwali," the president said in his message.
The Associated Press of Pakistan quoted him as saying that the festival of lights marks the triumph of good over evil.
"We partake in Diwali celebrations also for promoting interfaith harmony as a means to fight religious apartheid and those who seek to impose their ideological agenda on the people," the president said.
Zardari reiterated that Hindus, indeed all minorities, of Pakistan were equal citizens of the state and entitled to equal rights.
In Karachi, Pakistan Peoples Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari Monday extended greetings to the Hindu community on the occasion of Diwali.
In a statement, he assured them that his party stood for their equal rights.
He said all the minorities, including the Hindus, were equal citizens of Pakistan and were free to celebrate their religious and cultural festivals without any fear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price