Zardari expressed concern over Myanmar riots
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on Saturday expressed concern over communal riots in Myanmar and called on his Myanmarese counterpart U Thein Sein to prevent violence and protect the lives of the minority Muslim community.
In a letter to U Thein Sein, Zardari said he was "deeply saddened" by a fresh wave of violence in Meiktila town of Mandalay region.
He expressed the concern of the Pakistani people over the communal riots and the desecration of places of worship.
"I am deeply saddened at the eruption of yet another wave of violence, this time in Meiktila town of Mandalay region, Myanmar. The people of Pakistan are concerned at the recurrence of communal riots resulting in loss of life and property as well as desecration of places of worship," Zardari wrote in his letter.
While appreciating the Myanmar government`s efforts to defuse the situation, he said he had confidence in Thein Sein’s leadership in "restoring communal harmony that is so essential for strengthening of the democratic process".
"I request, as a friend of Myanmar, to kindly use all your resources to prevent violence and protect the lives of minority Muslim community. As you would kindly agree that peaceful co-existence of communities in Myanmar would be an essential element to make the transition of democracy a success. Let me assure you that Pakistan fully supports your efforts to strengthen democracy in Myanmar," he added.
Zardari wished the government and people of Myanmar success in restoring peace, stability and economic progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened