Zardari instructed Haqqani on memo: Mansoor Ijaz
Islamabad: Pakistani American businessman Mansoor Ijaz said Thursday that Husain Haqqani, Islamabad`s former envoy to the US, had "directives" from Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari on delivering a memo to Washington appealing for help in the wake of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden`s killing last year.
"It was my understanding that Haqqani had directives from the Pakistani President," the Geo News quoted Ijaz as saying while recording his testimony before a judicial commission from the Pakistani High Commision in London.
"Haqqani said (in the memo) that the civilian government needs to be strengthened against the `bad boys`", Ijaz added.
The term "bad boys" refers to army chief (General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani) or ISI chief (Lt. Gen. Ahmad Shuja Pasha), said Ijaz.
The commission earlier instructed Ijaz to help Haqqani`s counsel if he wanted to cross-examine him and that the forensic examination of evidence at the moment was premature.
The Supreme Court-appointed commission is probing Ijaz`s claim to have last year delivered a secret memo to then US joint chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen at the behest of Haqqani and the Pakistani government.
The memo said that Zardari feared a coup after Osama was killed last May by US commandos. The exposure of the memo triggered a scandal and cost Haqqani his job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read