Zardari leaves Pakistan, flies to Dubai
Islamabad: Amidst a standoff between the civilian government and the powerful military on the memo scandal, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari on Thursday left for one-day visit to Dubai.
There is no immediate word on the visit from the presidency. This is Zardari’s second visit to Dubai in two months.
Sources close to Zardari said the President’s visit is completely non-political in nature. Some reports claimed that the President has gone to Dubai for medical check up, while others said Zardari was expected to attend a wedding, which would also be attended by several senior government officials.
The Pakistani leader has a private residence in Dubai.
He travelled to Dubai on December 06 and remained there for nearly a fortnight for treatment of a heart condition. That trip had triggered rampant speculation that Zardari was under pressure from the military to step down.
Since then, Zardari has made it clear that he has no intention of quitting as President.
Earlier in the day, Pakistan`s military chief met top commanders amid a widening rift between the powerful armed forces and the civilian government.
Military spokesman Major Muhammad Ali Diyal declined to say what the talks at Army headquarters were about.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani fired the defence secretary and the military issued an unusual statement warning of "grievous consequences", as the fallout from a scandal centred on a memo written to Washington asking for its help in reining in the generals widened.
The Supreme Court, seen as hostile to President Asif Ali Zardari and an ally of the Army, is investigating that affair and a second one linked to past corruption cases against the President. Both could potentially be used as a pretext to oust the current civilian leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?