Zardari makes rare public appearance in Karachi
Islamabad: Shunning his tight security cover, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari made a rare public appearance when he dined out with his daughter Aseefa at a Chinese restaurant in the southern port city of Karachi.
Zardari went to the China Kitchen in the post Clifton neighbourhood on Monday evening, surprising both the management of the restaurant and other diners.
The restaurant is located close to Bilawal House, Zardari`s private residence in Karachi.
The President shunned his strict security arrangements and "candidly exchanged greetings" with other diners by waving at them and asking them how they were doing, media reports said.
Ghazala, the owner of China Kitchen, said she "couldn`t believe her eyes" when she saw Zardari and his daughter enter the restaurant.
She told The Express Tribune that they arrived without prior notice, dressed casually and were "humble" in their manners.
"He complimented us by saying that he liked the simplicity of the restaurant and enjoyed the food. He wanted to know what inspired me to open China Kitchen. While he was leaving, he said, `Keep up the good work`," Ghazala said.
Zardari was "very friendly" with the other diners, she said.
After the dinner, Aseefa posted on Twitter: "Just had dinner at China Kitchen, it was great."
Some reports said Zardari paid Rs 10,500 though the bill was just Rs 4,500, with the remainder meant as a tip for the servers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble