Zardari makes rare public appearance in Karachi
Islamabad: Shunning his tight security cover, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari made a rare public appearance when he dined out with his daughter Aseefa at a Chinese restaurant in the southern port city of Karachi.
Zardari went to the China Kitchen in the post Clifton neighbourhood on Monday evening, surprising both the management of the restaurant and other diners.
The restaurant is located close to Bilawal House, Zardari`s private residence in Karachi.
The President shunned his strict security arrangements and "candidly exchanged greetings" with other diners by waving at them and asking them how they were doing, media reports said.
Ghazala, the owner of China Kitchen, said she "couldn`t believe her eyes" when she saw Zardari and his daughter enter the restaurant.
She told The Express Tribune that they arrived without prior notice, dressed casually and were "humble" in their manners.
"He complimented us by saying that he liked the simplicity of the restaurant and enjoyed the food. He wanted to know what inspired me to open China Kitchen. While he was leaving, he said, `Keep up the good work`," Ghazala said.
Zardari was "very friendly" with the other diners, she said.
After the dinner, Aseefa posted on Twitter: "Just had dinner at China Kitchen, it was great."
Some reports said Zardari paid Rs 10,500 though the bill was just Rs 4,500, with the remainder meant as a tip for the servers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him