Zardari may secure 2nd term as Pak Prez: Report
Islamabad: Asif Ali Zardari appears set to
secure another term as Pakistan`s President even if his ruling PPP fails to win a majority in Parliament in the next general
election in 2013, a media report said Monday.
However, Zardari has to ensure that elections for half
the seats in the 100-member Senate, or upper house of
Parliament, take place according to schedule in March next
year, a close aide of the President told The Express Tribune
"That is what he is striving for now. He believes if the
Senate elections are held under the current set-up according
to the scheduled timing, nobody can stop him from winning
another term," said an official from the PPP considered one of
the closest allies of Zardari.
Senate elections, for which the provincial assemblies
constitute the electoral college, are set to give the PPP a
simple majority in the upper house if they are held under the
current set-up, the report said.
Members of the Senate, National Assembly or lower house
of Parliament and four provincial assemblies vote to elect the
The presidential polls are held on one-man one-vote basis
in Parliament. But votes of members of provincial assemblies
are counted in proportion to 65-strong Balochistan legislature
an equation that would render the anticipated strength of
PPP`s main opponent PML-N in Punjab almost irrelevant.
PPP masterminds assessing the political situation believe
there will be fierce competition in the next general election.
Their view is that the difference in the number of seats
between the PPP and PML-N will be "very small though highly
Zardari already has a formula to swing numbers in his
favour, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand