Zardari may secure 2nd term as Pak Prez: Report
Islamabad: Asif Ali Zardari appears set to
secure another term as Pakistan`s President even if his ruling PPP fails to win a majority in Parliament in the next general
election in 2013, a media report said Monday.
However, Zardari has to ensure that elections for half
the seats in the 100-member Senate, or upper house of
Parliament, take place according to schedule in March next
year, a close aide of the President told The Express Tribune
"That is what he is striving for now. He believes if the
Senate elections are held under the current set-up according
to the scheduled timing, nobody can stop him from winning
another term," said an official from the PPP considered one of
the closest allies of Zardari.
Senate elections, for which the provincial assemblies
constitute the electoral college, are set to give the PPP a
simple majority in the upper house if they are held under the
current set-up, the report said.
Members of the Senate, National Assembly or lower house
of Parliament and four provincial assemblies vote to elect the
The presidential polls are held on one-man one-vote basis
in Parliament. But votes of members of provincial assemblies
are counted in proportion to 65-strong Balochistan legislature
an equation that would render the anticipated strength of
PPP`s main opponent PML-N in Punjab almost irrelevant.
PPP masterminds assessing the political situation believe
there will be fierce competition in the next general election.
Their view is that the difference in the number of seats
between the PPP and PML-N will be "very small though highly
Zardari already has a formula to swing numbers in his
favour, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan