Zardari, Nawaz disappointed voters: Imran Khan
Islamabad: Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan has said the country honoured President Asif Ali Zardari and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif but they disappointed their voters in return, Geo News reported.
Addressing a public gathering on Saturday in Punjab`s Mianwali district, the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) chief said it was time the "usurpers of national wealth" were made publicly accountable, according to Geo News.
Khan said the country needed to break itself from foreign grip.
"First of all, Pakistan must break the `foreign shackles` to become a free country," Imran Khan said adding that his party would transform Pakistan into a country envisioned by Pakistan founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
Condemning rising inflation, he said the epicurean rulers have starved the masses of the country with their record corruption in the last four years.
"The nation could neither make both ends meet nor could they find any self-respect under the unholy alliance ruling the country," he said.
Commenting on Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Khan said he (Gilani) would rather faint before writing to Swiss government for he was his master`s true voice without any doubt.
Pakistan`s apex court had warned the government of action if its ruling on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), which granted immunity to politicians and bureaucrats in corruption cases, was not implemented by January 10, 2012.
The court had sought reopening of cases closed under the NRO, struck down as void in 2009. It had ordered the government to write a letter to the Swiss authorities to reopen cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
On March 21, Gilani`s counsel told the Supreme Court that the government could not write to Swiss authorities on a corruption case against Zardari as long as he was president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter