Zardari on Myanmar trip, wants dynamism in ties
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on Tuesday expressed keen interest in tapping resource-rich Myanmar`s energy sector and signing a comprehensive free trade
agreement with it to impart "new dynamism" in bilateral ties.
Zardari, who reached Myanmar`s capital Naypyidaw on a two-day official visit today, met his counterpart Thein Sein and offered to send his Minister for Petroleum and
Natural Resources to Myanmar for exploring prospects of meaningful cooperation.
Besides, the president called for enhancing two-way trade between the two nations and establishing a Preferential Tariff Arrangement leading to the culmination of a comprehensive Free Trade Agreement.
He also emphasised establishment of a Joint Ministerial Commission mandated to promote economic and trade cooperation between the two countries as well as cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
The President called for consultations between the respective Central Banks to study prospects of establishing a Currency Swap Arrangement for closer economic and trade
cooperation, Pakistan`s state-run APP news agency quoted presidential spokesperson Farhatullah Babar as saying.
Pakistan and Myanmar have modest trade relations. Two way trade between the two countries stood at USD 24 million in 2009-2010.
The spokesperson said Zardari also offered to share Pakistan`s experience with Myanmar in poverty alleviation and women empowerment.
Babar said the President emphasised regular high level contacts "to impart new dynamism to our bilateral relations" and extended an invitation to President to visit Pakistan.
Zardari will travel to Yangon tomorrow to confer `Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Award` on Suu Kyi. He is also expected to visit the mausoleum of last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read