Zardari optimistic on ties with US
Beijing: Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has expressed confidence over his country`s relationship with the US, despite complaints from Washington about Islamabad "not doing enough" to counter terrorism.
"I think the US is an important country in the world and so is Pakistan. We have mutual interests," Zardari told China Daily.
"Slowly but surely, we will get back to normal relations," he said.
The remarks came after US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said in Kabul that Washington was "reaching the limits of patience" with Pakistan on the issue of militants` safe havens on the Pakistani side of the border.
Panetta earlier said in New Delhi that the US will continue to battle militants in Pakistan`s tribal region despite complaints from Islamabad that the drone strikes violate its sovereignty.
According to analysts, Panetta`s statement shows the mistrust between the two close allies -- US and Pakistan -- in their war on terror.
Asked about his opinion on Panetta`s remarks, Zardari said: "I think sometimes politicians speak for political reasons. It is an election year in the US. Most of the comments coming from the US are based on their internal political condition."
Pakistan has been blamed by many Western countries, including the US, for "not doing enough" to counter terrorism.
"Nobody understands the effects of the war on Pakistan. We have lost 40,000 people and ... economic growth from terrorist attacks and activities," said Zardari.
"We are victims of terror... It seems like Pakistan is abetting terrorists, but it is the wrong perception," he said.
Zardari attended the Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit in Beijing, in which Pakistan is an observer along with India, Iran and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly