Zardari shoe-thrower to visit Pakistan
London: A Briton, who had hurled shoes at Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari during his last official visit to the UK, has announced to visit Pakistan on March 23 - the Pakistan Resolution Day.
Mohammed Shamim Khan had attempted to attack Zardari when he was addressing a rally of Pakistan People’s Party at the International Convention Centre in Birmingham on August 07 last year.
"I could feel the anger brewing up inside me as Zardari talked about the floods in Pakistan. I thought we have a crisis back at home and all he can do is take a trip around Europe while his own people are suffering," he was quoted as saying after the incident.
The 63-year-old Khan is now optimistic that his arrival in Pakistan will herald a Khomeini-like Iranian revolution in the country, The News reports.
He is encouraged by the response he had received from Pakistan following the show-hurling incident, and hopes that thousands will turn out to greet him when he lands in Islamabad.
Khan is also aware that he may be targeted by PPP activists and the state itself for his daring act, but believes that silence is not an option in view of the floundering state of affairs in Pakistan.
“I have been contacted by leaders of all parties from Pakistan and [Pak-occupied] Kashmir (PoK). They have extended support to me. They have also invited me to visit Pakistan,” said Khan, who originally hails from PoK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister