Zardari to visit Qatar
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari will visit Qatar for two days from Tuesday for dialogue on bilateral and regional issues, officials said Sunday. The issue of raging Taliban-led insurgency in Afghanistan is also likely to be discussed during the visit.
The president will hold talks with Qatar`s Emir and the prime minister with particular focus on promoting trade and investment ties in a bid to boost bilateral ties, an official was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
During his visit Zardari will also meet eminent Qatari businessmen and invite them to invest more in Pakistan.
He is likely to discuss with the Qatari leadership the issue of import of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and finalisation of trans-national formalities for it.
Pakistan and Qatar enjoy good bilateral ties in diverse fields ranging from trade and infrastructure, officials said.
Pakistan exported $95 million worth of goods to Qatar and imported $302 million worth of commodities from Qatar in 2011-12.
Sources say the Afghan issue is likely to come up for discussion during the talks as Qatar is host to the political office of the Afghan Taliban, where Taliban had been engaged in talks with the US officials.
Taliban suspended talks with the US in March 2012, blaming the "ever-changing position" of the US after controversy surfaced over the release of Taliban prisoners from Guantanamo detention centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note