Zardari welcomes resumption of cricket ties b/w In
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari on Tuesday welcomed the resumption of India-Pakistan cricketing ties saying it will help "promote peace and friendship" between the two countries and their people who can enjoy some "good cricket".
Zardari made the remarks during a meeting with Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Mohammad Zaka Ashraf, who called on him at the presidency and briefed him about the Board of Control for Cricket in India`s decision to resume cricket ties with Pakistan.
"The resumption of sport ties would help promote peace and friendship between the two countries and their people," Zardari was quoted as saying in a statement issued by the presidency.
The President expressed the hope that the resumption of cricket between the two sides "would provide an opportunity to the people of the two countries to enjoy some good cricket".
He welcomed the BCCI`s decision and appreciated the efforts made by Ashraf for the resumption of cricket ties between the two countries.
BCCI announced yesterday that it had decided to resume cricketing ties by inviting the Pakistan cricket team for a short series in December 2012-January 2013.
Three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches have been planned. The Pakistan Cricket Board welcomed the move.
Cricketing ties between the two countries were suspended after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which were blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Pakistani authorities are yet to prosecute anyone for the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing