Zardari will be back home in 2 weeks: Gilani
Islamabad: Asif Ali Zardari , who is undergoing treatment in Dubai for heart complications , would need two weeks of rest before returning home, Pakistan premier Yousaf Raza Gilani has said, dismissing rumours about a "quiet coup" and the president`s offer to resign.
Gilani also insisted that 56-year-old Zardari had not suffered a stroke and said the president`s condition was improving rapidly.
Medical tests of Zardari were clear, but he would need two weeks` rest before returning home, Gilani told BBC in an interview on Sunday . He further denied that the president had written a letter of resignation, as claimed by a source in Dubai.
"Why should he write (a letter of resignation)?" asked Gilani. He has the backing and support of the entire parliament." Dismissing speculation about a "quiet coup" , the PM said, "Rumours are rumours."
Despite denials from officials , Islamabad continues to be abuzz with rumours that Zardari had suffered a "minor heart attack" . Gulf News daily had quoted an unnamed presidential aide as saying that Zardari may not return to Pakistan for weeks.
Other leaders of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government have stepped in to defend the President, insisting that
Zardari`s condition has improved and that he will return to the country soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH