Zardari `will respect` Parliament probe in Memogate
Islamabad: Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has said he will respect the decision of the Parliamentary Committee on National Security (PCNS) regarding `memo scandal` as he considers the Parliament is supreme, Geo News reported.
Pakistani American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claims to have delivered a memo to the then US military chief General Mike Mullen last May at the behest of the then Pakistan ambassador to US Husain Haqqani and the government to avert a likely military coup.
The incident being described as a `memogate` or memo scandal is generating a lot of heat in Pakistan.
A 17-member parliamentary panel -- PCNS -- is investigating the memo allegedly sent to US authorities that Zardari feared a coup after Osama bin Laden`s May 02 killing at Abbottabad near Islamabad.
Former Pakistani ambassador Husain Haqqani quit in November over the secret memo.
Also, a three-member judicial commission headed by Balochistan High Court Chief Justice Qazi Faez Isa is probing the scandal.
It has summoned President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistah Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence Ahmed Shuja Pasha, and Husain Haqqani, among others, at its next hearing on January 09.
Zardari also said he was not afraid of early elections and was ready to talk to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif for this, Geo News quoted the Pakistan President as saying in the interview to be aired on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh