Zardari `will respect` Parliament probe in Memogate
Islamabad: Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has said he will respect the decision of the Parliamentary Committee on National Security (PCNS) regarding `memo scandal` as he considers the Parliament is supreme, Geo News reported.
Pakistani American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claims to have delivered a memo to the then US military chief General Mike Mullen last May at the behest of the then Pakistan ambassador to US Husain Haqqani and the government to avert a likely military coup.
The incident being described as a `memogate` or memo scandal is generating a lot of heat in Pakistan.
A 17-member parliamentary panel -- PCNS -- is investigating the memo allegedly sent to US authorities that Zardari feared a coup after Osama bin Laden`s May 02 killing at Abbottabad near Islamabad.
Former Pakistani ambassador Husain Haqqani quit in November over the secret memo.
Also, a three-member judicial commission headed by Balochistan High Court Chief Justice Qazi Faez Isa is probing the scandal.
It has summoned President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistah Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence Ahmed Shuja Pasha, and Husain Haqqani, among others, at its next hearing on January 09.
Zardari also said he was not afraid of early elections and was ready to talk to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif for this, Geo News quoted the Pakistan President as saying in the interview to be aired on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people