Zardari`s dual office case hearing adjourned
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Wednesday adjourned till November 7 the hearing of a case regarding the holding of dual offices by President Asif Ali Zardari following a request from the government`s lawyer.
An associate of Wasim Sajjad, the federal government`s lawyer, informed the four-judge bench headed by Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial that lawyers were preoccupied with elections to the Supreme Court Bar Association.
He sought the adjournment of the case, following which the Chief Justice put off the hearing till next month.
Sajjad had earlier argued that Zardari had not committed any contempt as the High Court had not passed an order to bar the President from holding two offices - one of president and the other of co-chairman of the ruling Pakistan People`s Party.
The High Court, in a judgement issued last year, had only conveyed to Zardari that it expected the President to give up one of the offices, Sajjad said.
"It was not an order and therefore the question of contempt doesn`t arise," he argued.
Following this, the court had asked Sajjad to obtain Zardari`s response to its judgement of last year.
"We want to know the President`s views about last year`s judgement about his dual office," the Chief Justice had remarked at the last hearing.
The High Court had earlier had issued a notice to Zardari, asking him to explain why he had not followed its direction to relinquish the political office of co-chairman of the PPP.
Petitioner Azhar Siddique`s counsel A K Dogar, who also represents Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed, argued that the use of the presidency for partisan political activities by Zardari was illegal amounted to contempt of court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!