Zardari`s problems self created: Sharif
Peshawar: The problems confronting the
beleaguered President Asif Ali Zardari were "self created" and
he could have avoided them if he had followed the rule of law,
former Pakistan premier Nawaz Sharif said on Friday.
Sharif, who heads the main opposition PML-N party,
made the remarks while addressing a news conference in this
He said Pakistan is passing through a difficult time
and it is the need of the hour to strictly adhere to the rule
of law and constitution.
There should also be good governance as it is the
panacea to all problems facing the country, Sharif said.
Democracy cannot be strengthened by following policies
that are repugnant to the basic norms of democracy and the
Pakistan People?s Party-led government is doing all it can to
weaken the democratic process, he said.
The Supreme Court?s order striking down the National
Reconciliation Ordinance, a graft amnesty that benefited
Zardari and thousands of others, should be respected without
any ifs and buts, said Sharif.
The NRO was the "gift of a dictator to facilitate
influential people", he added.
The apex court last month annulled the NRO, which was
issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf in 2007.
Sharif, who addressed the news conference after
attending a meeting of the local chapter of his party, said
the situation would have been different today if the Charter
of Democracy signed by the PPP and the PML-N in 2006 had been
implemented in letter and spirit.
Replying to a question regarding immunity from
criminal prosecution granted to the President by the
constitution, Sharif said if he had been in Zardari?s place,
he would have gone to court to defend himself against
In response to another query on initiatives launched
by the West to integrate moderate Taliban in the government in
Afghanistan, Sharif said this process should have been adopted
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands