Zardari`s return may be cameo appearance, says NYT
Washington: President Asif Ali Zardari`s return to Pakistan from Dubai could be just a "cameo appearance" before his wife and former prime minister Benazir Bhutto`s death anniversary Dec 27 and after that he would be probably leave for a long convalescene in London or Dubai, a media report said.
Zardari had suddenly flown out of Pakistan Dec 6 to Dubai where he was admitted in a hospital. His exact health status is not known with reports ranging from a heart attack to a stroke that caused bleeding in his brain. He returned to Pakistan Sunday night.
New York Times quoted some Pakistani and Western officials last week as saying that "if Zardari returned, it could be only for a cameo appearance before Dec 27", Benazir`s fourth death anniversary.
After that, Zardari would probably leave for a long - perhaps permanent - convalescence in London or Dubai, the report quoted officials as saying.
Benazir Bhutto (1953-2007) was the first woman prime minister of Pakistan. She was twice the prime minister - 1988-90 and 1993-96 - but could not complete any term.
She was removed in 1996 as prime minister on charges of corruption, and went into self-imposed exile to Dubai in 1998.
Benazir returned to Pakistan in October 2007 after an understanding with then president Pervez Musharraf. She was granted amnesty and all corruption charges were withdrawn.
She was assassinated in December 2007, after a Pakistan Peoples Party rally in Rawalpindi, just two weeks before the scheduled parliamentary elections of 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark