Zia slaps contempt of court suit over eviction
Dhaka: The `battle of begums` in
Bangladesh intensified today with former premier and
opposition BNP leader Khaleda Zia slapping a `contempt of
court` petition against Sheikh Hasina`s government over her
eviction from her cantonment residence.
The case was filed with the apex appellate division of
the Supreme Court against the cabinet secretary and top
officials of defence and home ministries, the cantonment board
and the Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) of the armed
forces, Court officials and Zia`s lawyers said.
The BNP has charged that the eviction came at a time
when Zia`s plea on the issue was pending before the apex court
"Chamber Judge of the Appellate Division Justice S K
Sinha accepted the petition and referred it for hearing on
November 29 along with her (Zia`s) pending leave to appeal
prayer seeking to retain the cantonment house," a Supreme
Court official said.
The development came as the cantonment residence issue
has become a focal point of politics in the country, with BNP
overnight calling for a second nationwide general strike on
November 30 after a week of protests against Zia`s "eviction".
The government has claimed that the eviction was led
by a legal obligation for compliance with a High Court order
that had validated a government decision to oust her from the
The opposition called the government action an act of
"disrespect" for the apex court as their leave to appeal
petition was pending there for hearing on November 29.
Hours after her eviction from the cantonment
residence, a teary-eyed Zia appeared before the media and said
she was humiliatingly forced to come out in single clothes
from the house, which she was allotted under a controversial
lease agreement 29 years ago after her husband president Ziaur
Rahman`s assassination in 1981.
After the eviction the main opposition party promised
to launch an all out campaign to oust the government of Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina, Zia`s arch rival, and charged that the
ruling Awami League was trying to "eliminate BNP".
Several leading lawyers and experts said Zia`s lawyers
also contributed to the debacle as they did not seek an apex
court order for staying the High Court verdict while
approaching with the appeal petition.
Legal experts also simultaneously observed that the
government should have waited until November 29, when the
appeal hearing on the house was set to be held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide