Zia`s son challenges money laundering case against him
Dhaka: Bangladesh opposition leader Khaleda
Zia`s son Arafat Rahman Koko has petitioned the High Court
challenging his trial in a money laundering case, asking it to
quash the `politically motivated` proceedings.
Koko, younger son of former premier Zia, is in Bangkok
for treatment after he was released on parole and has
challenged the legality of the proceedings against him in a
petition filed in the High Court, the Daily Star said.
Koko was charged by the Anti-Corruption Commission in
March this year for laundering money he had allegedly taken
illegally from a Chinese company, Siemens and other sources in
exchange for helping them get government contracts.
The petition said the alleged offences as mentioned in
the case, took place between 2001 and 2006 but Koko was
charged under the Money Laundering Act 2009 enacted this year.
The proceedings were therefore illegal, it said.
"No one can be tried for the offences under such a law
that was enacted after the incident of offences took place,"
Koko`s counsel told a High Court bench that the case was
filed against his client on `political motive`, the paper
Koko has been charged with illegally siphoning off USD
9,32,672.81 and 28,84,603.15 Singaporean dollars abroad to
cover his illegally earned money, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!