18-year-old West Bengal girl selected for top NASA programme
Kolkata: Making the country very proud in the field of space science, an eighteen-year-old girl from Wese Bengal has been selected by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for its prestigious Goddard Internship Programme under the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), says a report.
As per the Times of India report, Sataparna Mukherjee, who is a Class 12 student from a village around 30km from Kolkata, bagged the top NASA scholarship with her amazing work on 'Black Hole Theory', in which she has written a paper on the subject proposing on how this could be used to create a 'Time Machine'.
Stating reason for her selection in NASA, Satarpana said that when she shared her paper on Black Hole Theory with the US space agency, it was greatly appreciated, says the report.
The teen will give her school-leaving exams this year from St Judes School, Madhyamgram, in Kamduni, West Bengal. She will be going to Oxford University, where she she will pursue her graduation, post-graduation and PhD (as NASA faculty) in aerospace engineering at its London Astrobiology Centre.
It is said that under the Goddard Internship Programme, she will work as a NASA employee and a researcher. Besides bearing all her expenses, NASA is also paying her a generous sum as honorarium.
Sataparna is among five scholars chosen from across the world for NASA's prestigious programme and the youngest Indian ever selected for a research project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing