20% of asteroids have moons too!
Washington: That some planets have moons is old news but what’s surprising is some asteroids do, too.
And according to Joshua Emery, assistant professor of Earth and planetary sciences at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, about 20 percent of them do.
Emery is part of an international team of planetary astronomers, led by Franck Marchis of the Carl Sagan Center of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., searching for moons around asteroids.
The discovery of moons around asteroids is important because it can provide clues to the asteroid’s formation, researchers say.
Emery and his team’s research has focused on the triple asteroid Minerva, the fourth asteroid located in the main belt -- which houses most of the solar system’s asteroids -- known to possess two moons.
“Minerva was thought to be a pretty typical, unremarkable asteroid until we discovered its two moons,” said Emery.
“Now, interest in this system has grown, and through a lot of new observations from both ground-based and space-based telescopes, we have developed a much more detailed understanding of Minerva and its moons.”
The team studied the asteroid in detail using the large W.M. Keck telescope in Hawaii and a small robotic telescope at Kitt Peak in Arizona. By piecing together old and new observations, the astronomers were able to make precise determinations of the moons’ orbits.
With shape, size, and mass in hand, the scientists then derived the asteroid’s density, determining that Minerva is different than the other large asteroids in the main-belt.
“All other large main-belt asteroids with one or more moons are very porous,” said Emery.
“Such high porosity strongly suggests that they are piles of rubble held together by gravity rather than solid rocks,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery