200-kilo metal ‘UFO fragment’ falls from sky in Siberia
London: A giant “UFO fragment”, resembling a silvery dome, has fallen from the sky near a remote village in Siberia, according to Russian media.
The U-shaped object is currently under inspection by Russian experts, after being covertly removed under cover of night from the possession of villagers who found it.
After discovering the device on Sunday, locals from the village of Otradnesnky had managed to drag the “UFO fragment” from the thick forest where it had fallen.
They attached it onto a trailer and took it through the snow to their village, where local inspectors then examined it before alerting Moscow authorities.
In an official statement, Sergey Bobrov, who found the object, agreed to keep it safe.
But following their stealthy removal of the 200-kilogram metal fragment, police have it under close guard, on orders from unnamed authorities.
The device has not had its provenance confirmed as of yet.
However, the object does not come from a rocket or missile or be in any way associated with terrestrial space technology, it has been announced.
“The object found is not related to space technology. A final conclusion can be made after a detailed study of the object by experts,” the Telegraph quoted Roscosmos, the Russian space agency as saying.
Experts have also examined the object to determine whether it poses a hazard.
“We measured the radiation level near and inside the object. We found no radiation here,” Yuri Bornyakov, who heads the rescue service department of the Kuybyshevsky district in the Novosibirsk region said.
Valery Vasiliev, the head of the Kuybyshevsky Department for Civil Defence and Emergency Situations said that part of the fragment is made of ultra-strong titanium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs