3 new planets and mystery object discovered
Washington: An international research team of astronomers have discovered three new planets- each orbiting its own giant, dying star –outside our solar system.
Using the Hobby-Eberly Telescope, the astronomers observed the planets’ parent stars - called HD 240237, BD +48 738, and HD 96127 - tens of light years away from our solar system.
One of the massive, dying stars has an additional mystery object orbiting it, according to team leader Alex Wolszczan, an Evan Pugh Professor of
Astronomy and Astrophysics at Penn State University.
Wolszczan was the first astronomer ever to discover planets outside our solar system in 1992.
The new research is expected to shed light on the evolution of planetary systems around dying stars. It also will help astronomers to understand how metal content influences the behaviour of dying stars.
The three newly discovered planetary systems are more evolved than our own solar system.
“Each of the three stars is swelling and has already become a red giant -- a dying star that soon will gobble up any planet that happens to be orbiting too close to it,” Wolszczan added.
The three dying stars and their accompanying planets have been particularly useful to the research team because they have helped to illuminate such ongoing mysteries as how dying stars behave depending on their metallicity.
The research will be published in December in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America