5 facts about meteors that you might not know
Zee Media Bureau/ Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: A meteor basically refers to a bright trail of light that appears in the dark sky when a tiny chunk of space debris heats up and burns due to friction caused by the earth’s atmosphere.
It is always a celestial delight to witness a meteor shower.
Here are a few newsworthy facts about meteors and meteorites:
- Meteorites can be as small as the size of a tiny grain or as large as boulders.
- A meteorite which is less than 2mm in diameter is named as a micrometeorite.
- If the size of a meteoroid is larger than 10 metres in diameter, then it is called an asteroid.
- Meteorites are mostly either made of iron, stony or stony-iron.
- Meteors and meteorites cannot support life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre