Zee Media Bureau/ Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: A meteor basically refers to a bright trail of light that appears in the dark sky when a tiny chunk of space debris heats up and burns due to friction caused by the earth’s atmosphere.
It is always a celestial delight to witness a meteor shower.
Here are a few newsworthy facts about meteors and meteorites:
- Meteorites can be as small as the size of a tiny grain or as large as boulders.
- A meteorite which is less than 2mm in diameter is named as a micrometeorite.
- If the size of a meteoroid is larger than 10 metres in diameter, then it is called an asteroid.
- Meteorites are mostly either made of iron, stony or stony-iron.
- Meteors and meteorites cannot support life.