A ‘fat’ distant galaxy cluster called El Gordo
New Delhi: An international team of astronomers have located a massive, hot young galaxy cluster nicknamed “El Gordo” by using a telescope in Chile.
The finding was announced at the 219th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Austin, Texas.
El Gordo, which means “the fat one” in Spanish, has its official name as ACT-CL J0102-4915 and is located more than 7 billion light-years from Earth.
The monster galaxy cluster El Gordo has mass about 2 quadrillion times that of the sun and is the largest, hottest, and most energetic cluster ever seen in the distant universe.
Galaxy clusters are the largest objects in the universe held together by gravity. They are formed as a result of smaller groups of galaxies merging together. The process depends on the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe at that time. Having a peep inside the clusters can shed light on the mysterious components of the cosmic world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet