A ‘fat’ distant galaxy cluster called El Gordo
New Delhi: An international team of astronomers have located a massive, hot young galaxy cluster nicknamed “El Gordo” by using a telescope in Chile.
The finding was announced at the 219th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Austin, Texas.
El Gordo, which means “the fat one” in Spanish, has its official name as ACT-CL J0102-4915 and is located more than 7 billion light-years from Earth.
The monster galaxy cluster El Gordo has mass about 2 quadrillion times that of the sun and is the largest, hottest, and most energetic cluster ever seen in the distant universe.
Galaxy clusters are the largest objects in the universe held together by gravity. They are formed as a result of smaller groups of galaxies merging together. The process depends on the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe at that time. Having a peep inside the clusters can shed light on the mysterious components of the cosmic world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery