`Alien encounter may not be happy one`
Beijing: It is probably unwise for human beings to be telling aliens where we are, Nobel laureate Brian P Schmidt has said.
"I think it is probably not the smartest thing to tell the aliens where we are, as any encounter with aliens may not be a happy one," Xinhua quoted Schmidt as saying at the 28th General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union currently going on the Chinese capital.
Schmidt shared the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics with Saul Perlmutter and Adam Riess for providing evidence that the expansion of the universe is accelerating.
"Aliens may not be something that we need to worry about. It will be so far away and it takes so long to travel from point A to point B in the universe that it won`t be a problem. But it will happen when it happens," said Schmidt.
Before their discovery, it was commonly thought that the expansion of the universe was slowing down. However, their findings showed that dark energy pushes every galaxy apart and the universe will continue to expand at a quicker pace and eventually fade away.
According to Schmidt`s research, it will be harder to reach another planet in an accelerating universe, meaning it is less likely to meet higher intelligent extraterrestrial life in the future.
"The future of the universe seems to be dark. Things are getting faster and faster. In terms of looking for aliens, it`s gonna be quite a challenge. It may never happen. Things like us are probably very rare in the universe," he said.
In 2010, Stephen Hawking, one of the world`s most famous theoretical physicists, said humans should be extremely cautious of extraterrestrial life and attempts to make contact with alien races is "a little too risky".
Schmidt said he agrees with Hawking. He said humans have more things to worry about.
"The reality is that the sun is going to give out on us in about four billion years, and is becoming very hot. So in the future about 800 million years from now we need to figure out how to deal with that first."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video