Aliens may be using thinking robots, astronomer says
London: Aliens could be operating through
sentient robots and the hunt for extraterrestrial life should
take this possibility into account, a leading astronomer has
Seth Shostak, of the Search for Extraterrestrial
Intelligence (SETI) Institute in California, said humans had a
greater chance of picking up signals from alien-operated
robots than from the biological lifeforms that had created
The quest to find alien life so far has generally
followed standard rules of biochemistry, working on the
assumption that detectable extraterrestrial beings would be
But Dr Shostak said astronomers may be overlooking the
existence of "sentient machines" from outerspace, the
The astronomer argued that while evolution can take a
large amount of time to produce beings capable of
inter-planetary communication, technology could advance fast
enough to move beyond the species that created it.
"If you look at the timescales for the development of
technology, at some point you invent radio and then you go on
the air and then we have a chance of finding you," he said.
"But within a few hundred years of inventing radio -- at
least if we`re any example -- you invent thinking machines.
Founded in 1984, the SETI institute has the mission to
explore, understand and explain the origin, nature and
prevalence of life in the universe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam