Apollo 13 burn notes top space history auction
New York: Extensively annotated burn notes from Apollo 13 realised USD 84,100 at an auction here.
The single typed sheet, which contains some of the most important procedures that allowed the astronauts to return safely to Earth, also included thorough notes written by astronaut James Lovell in red ink during the harrowing mission.
The document was signed at a later date in black ink by fellow Apollo 13 astronaut Fred Haise, who also wrote the accompanying letter of provenance.
The Bonhams Space History sale took place last Monday.
"The Apollo 13 mission will never be forgotten and these burn notes are the tangible evidence of the incredible bravery of these astronauts. Bonhams is excited to be the leader in this important collecting field," said Matthew Haley, Bonhams space history specialist.
Documents from Apollo 11 also impressed bidders, including an Apollo 11 command and service module manoeuvre card selling for USD 64,900 and a postal cover taken to the moon during the mission which achieved USD 35,000.
An Apollo 11 activation checklist carried to the lunar surface realised USD 25,000.
From the aviation history section of the sale, a swatch of fabric from the Kitty Hawk Flyer sold for USD 33,750 - soaring past its pre-sale estimate of USD 3,500-4,500.
Other lots that significantly outperformed their estimates included a very large Soviet model of the Soviet N1-L3 rocket which realised USD 27,500, more than double its pre-sale high estimate, and an Apollo 17 lunar surface checklist which sold for USD 28,750.
The checklist was heavily soiled with lunar dust, allowing it to quadruple its pre-sale high estimate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...