Apollo 13 burn notes top space history auction
New York: Extensively annotated burn notes from Apollo 13 realised USD 84,100 at an auction here.
The single typed sheet, which contains some of the most important procedures that allowed the astronauts to return safely to Earth, also included thorough notes written by astronaut James Lovell in red ink during the harrowing mission.
The document was signed at a later date in black ink by fellow Apollo 13 astronaut Fred Haise, who also wrote the accompanying letter of provenance.
The Bonhams Space History sale took place last Monday.
"The Apollo 13 mission will never be forgotten and these burn notes are the tangible evidence of the incredible bravery of these astronauts. Bonhams is excited to be the leader in this important collecting field," said Matthew Haley, Bonhams space history specialist.
Documents from Apollo 11 also impressed bidders, including an Apollo 11 command and service module manoeuvre card selling for USD 64,900 and a postal cover taken to the moon during the mission which achieved USD 35,000.
An Apollo 11 activation checklist carried to the lunar surface realised USD 25,000.
From the aviation history section of the sale, a swatch of fabric from the Kitty Hawk Flyer sold for USD 33,750 - soaring past its pre-sale estimate of USD 3,500-4,500.
Other lots that significantly outperformed their estimates included a very large Soviet model of the Soviet N1-L3 rocket which realised USD 27,500, more than double its pre-sale high estimate, and an Apollo 17 lunar surface checklist which sold for USD 28,750.
The checklist was heavily soiled with lunar dust, allowing it to quadruple its pre-sale high estimate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured