Apollo 13 burn notes top space history auction
New York: Extensively annotated burn notes from Apollo 13 realised USD 84,100 at an auction here.
The single typed sheet, which contains some of the most important procedures that allowed the astronauts to return safely to Earth, also included thorough notes written by astronaut James Lovell in red ink during the harrowing mission.
The document was signed at a later date in black ink by fellow Apollo 13 astronaut Fred Haise, who also wrote the accompanying letter of provenance.
The Bonhams Space History sale took place last Monday.
"The Apollo 13 mission will never be forgotten and these burn notes are the tangible evidence of the incredible bravery of these astronauts. Bonhams is excited to be the leader in this important collecting field," said Matthew Haley, Bonhams space history specialist.
Documents from Apollo 11 also impressed bidders, including an Apollo 11 command and service module manoeuvre card selling for USD 64,900 and a postal cover taken to the moon during the mission which achieved USD 35,000.
An Apollo 11 activation checklist carried to the lunar surface realised USD 25,000.
From the aviation history section of the sale, a swatch of fabric from the Kitty Hawk Flyer sold for USD 33,750 - soaring past its pre-sale estimate of USD 3,500-4,500.
Other lots that significantly outperformed their estimates included a very large Soviet model of the Soviet N1-L3 rocket which realised USD 27,500, more than double its pre-sale high estimate, and an Apollo 17 lunar surface checklist which sold for USD 28,750.
The checklist was heavily soiled with lunar dust, allowing it to quadruple its pre-sale high estimate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi