Applications pour in for manned Mars mission
Washington: Applications are already rolling in for the first manned mission to Mars, it has been revealed.
Speaking at the National Space Symposium here, Inspiration Mars Foundation members described the challenges inherent in launching two humans on a 501-day flyby journey to Mars and back in January 2018, but remained optimistic that those challenges aren`t insurmountable.
"They`ll be crammed into a space the size of an RV for more than a year, breathing recycled air, subsisting on dehydrated food and drinking their purified urine," the researchers said.
They said that if they died, they will be freeze-dried in a body bag and if they survived, they will have to re-enter Earth`s atmosphere at 14.2 kilometers per second.
Jane Poynter, president of the Paragon Space Development Corp., which has partnered with Inspiration Mars said that so far, the team has encountered any show-stoppers, which is exciting.
The positions of both the planets Earth and Mars are ideal for such a quick trip; the next such opportunity won`t arrive until 2031.
According to the officials, the date also coincides with an 11-year solar minimum, meaning that the Inspiration Mars crew will be exposed to less solar radiation than during other launch windows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito