Applications pour in for manned Mars mission
Washington: Applications are already rolling in for the first manned mission to Mars, it has been revealed.
Speaking at the National Space Symposium here, Inspiration Mars Foundation members described the challenges inherent in launching two humans on a 501-day flyby journey to Mars and back in January 2018, but remained optimistic that those challenges aren`t insurmountable.
"They`ll be crammed into a space the size of an RV for more than a year, breathing recycled air, subsisting on dehydrated food and drinking their purified urine," the researchers said.
They said that if they died, they will be freeze-dried in a body bag and if they survived, they will have to re-enter Earth`s atmosphere at 14.2 kilometers per second.
Jane Poynter, president of the Paragon Space Development Corp., which has partnered with Inspiration Mars said that so far, the team has encountered any show-stoppers, which is exciting.
The positions of both the planets Earth and Mars are ideal for such a quick trip; the next such opportunity won`t arrive until 2031.
According to the officials, the date also coincides with an 11-year solar minimum, meaning that the Inspiration Mars crew will be exposed to less solar radiation than during other launch windows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands