Applications pour in for manned Mars mission
Washington: Applications are already rolling in for the first manned mission to Mars, it has been revealed.
Speaking at the National Space Symposium here, Inspiration Mars Foundation members described the challenges inherent in launching two humans on a 501-day flyby journey to Mars and back in January 2018, but remained optimistic that those challenges aren`t insurmountable.
"They`ll be crammed into a space the size of an RV for more than a year, breathing recycled air, subsisting on dehydrated food and drinking their purified urine," the researchers said.
They said that if they died, they will be freeze-dried in a body bag and if they survived, they will have to re-enter Earth`s atmosphere at 14.2 kilometers per second.
Jane Poynter, president of the Paragon Space Development Corp., which has partnered with Inspiration Mars said that so far, the team has encountered any show-stoppers, which is exciting.
The positions of both the planets Earth and Mars are ideal for such a quick trip; the next such opportunity won`t arrive until 2031.
According to the officials, the date also coincides with an 11-year solar minimum, meaning that the Inspiration Mars crew will be exposed to less solar radiation than during other launch windows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you