Armstrong fluffed his iconic phrase from Moon: Report
London: Neil Armstrong, the first man to
land on Moon, had fluffed his lines when he uttered the iconic
phrase: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".
He had intended to say: "One small step for `A` man,
one giant leap for mankind." But he missed out the `A` to say
"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
A small note scrawled on the original flight plan for the
first moon landing in Armstrong`s own hand confirm that the
astronaut fluffed his lines, The Sun reported.
It is believed that the phrase ? perhaps the most famous
of the 20th Century written on the document is the only
record of the words.
The revealing flight plan was inscribed and signed by
Armstrong while in quarantine on his return to earth and
handed to NASA press officer John McLeaish.
McLeaish authenticated the document while still with
Armstrong by writing a declaration on the back of it and
dating the item.
"This certifies that Neil Armstrong presented this signed
page to me on August 9, 1969, while in quarantine following
his mission as the first man on the moon," McLeaish wrote.
Armstrong`s words when he put his first foot on the moon
on August 9, 1969, have been a subject of much debate.
Armstrong said in his autobiography he had never written
the phrase down but experts believe he must have forgotten
about writing it directly after his return to earth.
The flight plan with the words scribbled on it is now set
to be auctioned by a private collector and is stoking up
The item is accompanied by a letter written by McLeaish`s
wife Patsy, in which she has confirmed that her husband was
very proud of the gift from Armstrong.
The auction is set to take place on April 13, at Bonhams
auctioneers, in New York. The flight plan is expected to fetch
"It is an extraordinary item, one of such historical
importance," said Andrew Currie, spokesman for Bonhams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song