Asteroid 2014 DA14 to pass by Earth
New Delhi: Asteroid 2012 DA14 came closest to Earth on Saturday at 12.55 am (IST) in south-north direction above Earth.
Its flight path was inside the geosynchronous orbit – closer than many telecommunication satellites. DA14 is the largest known object of its size to have passed this close, within 27,700 kilometers (17,000 miles) above the Earth.
The distance may seem large but considering the light year distances between planets and other stellar objects, 35,000 km is too close in astronomical terms.
The flyby gave sky watchers an opportunity to witness to the closest pass of an interplanetary visitor. At its closest approach, it was best visible over Indonesia. However people from other parts of Asia, Australia and Eastern Europe also get a chance to glimpse it on its way past.
The next asteroid to break into the ring of geostationary satellites will be Apophis, which will pass through at a distance of 19,400 miles on April 13, 2029.
Asteroid 2014 DA14 will itself return to Earth’s periphery in 2046, again on February 15, when it will flyby at a distance of a million miles.
The asteroid is a fairly typical near-Earth asteroid. It measures some 50 metres wide, neither very large nor very small, and is probably made of stone, as opposed to metal or ice.
As per an estimate, such asteroids fly past Earth, on average, every 40 years, yet actually strikes our planet only every 1200 years or so.
In 1908, something about the size of 2012 DA14 exploded in the atmosphere above Siberia, levelling hundreds of square miles of forest.
Astronomers have detected some 9,500 celestial bodies of various sizes that pass near Earth, but they estimate that`s only a tenth of what`s out there.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi