Asteroid Apophis to hit Earth on April 13, 2036
Melbourne: Russian scientists have predicted that asteroid Apophis is most likely to hit Earth on April 13, 2036.
"Apophis will approach Earth at a distance of 37,000-38,000 kilometers on April 13, 2029," News.com.au quoted Professor Leonid Sokolov of the St. Petersburg State University as telling Ria Novosti.
"Its likely collision with Earth may occur on April 13, 2036," Sokolov added.
Asteroid 99942 Apophis was first discovered to be in the Earth`s impact zone back in 2004, and at roughly 300 m wide, is estimated to be able to hit the Earth with the force equivalent to somewhere around two Krakatoas.
Apophis could land anywhere in a streak that runs from the Middle East through the tip of South America to the west coast of Africa, according to a paper delivered to the 2007 Planetary Defense Conference.
A simulation tool devised by the University of Southampton in the UK shows that, depending on where it hits, it could cause up to 10 million deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read