Asteroid crash 290 mn years ago may have led Russian meteor on collision course with Earth
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
Washington : After the unfortunate Russian meteor strike last year, scientists have constantly been trying to unfold the mechanisms behind the second largest asteroid airburst in human history. In a recent study, researchers have said that the meteorite that rocked Russia last year could have been sent on the collision course with Earth after it crashed into another asteroid as long as 290 million years ago.
This discovery has been made by lead researcher Shin Ozawa, of Japan`s University of Tohoku, and his team. An unusual form of the mineral jadeite embedded in glassy structures known as shock veins was collected from the fragments of the asteroid recovered after the powerful Feb. 15, 2013 strike.
Shock veins typically form when the parent body of a meteor or asteroid collides with a larger object in space. Heat and pressure from the impact cause rock to melt and it later reforms bearing vein-shaped patterns.
According to the scientists, the parent asteroid, from which the Chelyabinsk meteor broke off, crashed into another asteroid in space at anywhere from 1,440 - 5,400 km/h. The second asteroid was at least 150m in diameter, and the crash sent the final 20m wide meteor in Earth`s direction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you