Asteroids are linked to meteorites striking earth
Sydney: Asteroids in space are linked to meteorites that land on earth, a new discovery claims. Analysis of dust samples from an asteroid known as Itokawa has unspooled these links.
The samples were dusted off the Hayabusa space capsule, which landed back in South Australia last year. They were analysed at The Australian National University (ANU).
"Previously there had been problems relating to the nature of asteroids with meteorites. Because the surfaces of meteorites are destroyed as they come in through the atmosphere," said Trevor Ireland from ANU.
"The samples from Itokawa are the previously unknown `skin` of an asteroid and their investigation has confirmed that meteorites that land on earth are indeed related to the asteroids we see in space," said Ireland, the journal Science reports.
"The samples from the skin of the asteroid show that they have been exposed to cosmic rays and solar wind for less than 10 million years, meaning that the asteroid is very young in solar system terms, according to an ANU statement.
"The ages of the parent bodies are over 4.5 billion years old, and when the parent body had a collision, material was broken off and reassembled into Itokawa and sent on an orbit through the inner solar system.
"This demonstrates that inner solar system asteroids are only with us for a short time - geologically speaking," Ireland said.
The Hayabusa Mission involved two touchdowns on the asteroid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why