Asteroids can have celestial rings too
London: In a surprising find that indicates that rings surrounding planets may be a more common feature than previously thought, astronomers have now discovered rings around an asteroid-like body whose orbit is between those of Saturn and Uranus.
At just 250 kms away, Chariklo is the smallest celestial body so far found to have rings.
“The discovery was an accident and a surprise,” said lead author Felipe Braga-Ribas, an astronomer at the National Observatory in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Chariklo belongs to a class of objects called "centaurs" which traverse the outer solar system in unstable orbits and can share characteristics with both asteroids and comets.
Because they are small, dark and far away, studying them is a challenge.
Braga-Ribas and his team discovered the rings while observing the way in that the asteroid blocked out light from a distant star as it passed between the star and Earth.
Piecing together results from telescopes at seven sites across South America, the team found narrow rings that were respectively seven and three kms wide.
The same technique was used to discover the rings around Uranus in 1977.
“Finding rings around Chariklo solves a puzzle about the object,” Braga-Ribas added.
A big question is how the rings can be stable, given the asteroid’s tiny mass.
If an impact caused them, it would have to have occurred at very low speed for the particles to remain in the centaur`s orbit.
“I think there is a good chance we would see another ring system around a small body somewhere in the outer Solar System,” Braga-Ribas said in a report published in Nature1.
Rings are interesting celestial features, as they are often a first step in the formation of planets and moons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad