Asteroids can have celestial rings too
London: In a surprising find that indicates that rings surrounding planets may be a more common feature than previously thought, astronomers have now discovered rings around an asteroid-like body whose orbit is between those of Saturn and Uranus.
At just 250 kms away, Chariklo is the smallest celestial body so far found to have rings.
“The discovery was an accident and a surprise,” said lead author Felipe Braga-Ribas, an astronomer at the National Observatory in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Chariklo belongs to a class of objects called "centaurs" which traverse the outer solar system in unstable orbits and can share characteristics with both asteroids and comets.
Because they are small, dark and far away, studying them is a challenge.
Braga-Ribas and his team discovered the rings while observing the way in that the asteroid blocked out light from a distant star as it passed between the star and Earth.
Piecing together results from telescopes at seven sites across South America, the team found narrow rings that were respectively seven and three kms wide.
The same technique was used to discover the rings around Uranus in 1977.
“Finding rings around Chariklo solves a puzzle about the object,” Braga-Ribas added.
A big question is how the rings can be stable, given the asteroid’s tiny mass.
If an impact caused them, it would have to have occurred at very low speed for the particles to remain in the centaur`s orbit.
“I think there is a good chance we would see another ring system around a small body somewhere in the outer Solar System,” Braga-Ribas said in a report published in Nature1.
Rings are interesting celestial features, as they are often a first step in the formation of planets and moons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'