Asteroids to fly by Earth today: NASA
Washington: Two asteroids are to zip close by Earth within hours of each other Wednesday, the US space agency said.
The asteroids measuring several metres in diameter were discovered Sunday by a telescope in Arizona and will pass closer than the moon`s distance to Earth, NASA said. Though asteroid`s come within that distance of Earth regularly, it is rare for two to do so in such a short period of time.
The first asteroid known as 2010 RX30 measures 10 to 20 metres and will pass within 248,000 km of Earth at 0951 GMT. The second known as 2010 RF12, measuring some 6 to 14 metres, will come just 79,000 km from Earth at 2212 GMT.
The objects should be visible from moderate strength amateur telescopes, NASA said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre