Astronauts repeat spacewalk, with mixed success
Cape Canaveral: Two Russian space station astronauts took a spacewalk on Monday to complete a job left undone last month, but ran into new trouble.
Oleg Kotov and Sergey Ryazanskiy quickly got one of two cameras installed outside the International Space Station, a task requiring multiple power connections. Everything checked out well, unlike the post-Christmas spacewalk where no data came from the cameras. The problem was traced to indoor cabling and thought to be fixed.
But the second camera did not provide good data to ground controllers after its installation.
Ryazanskiy redid the electrical connections, with no luck. He spotted no damage.
"I put everything in place as it used to be, maybe even better," Ryazanskiy radioed. "I think it`s much better." The spacewalkers worked so hard that Russian Mission Control outside Moscow urged them early in the spacewalk to "get your breath."
"We`ll force ourselves to rest," one of the spacewalkers replied in Russian.
Images from these new cameras will be distributed by the Canadian company that owns them, UrtheCast Corp.
UrtheCast said it will post video on its website and sell images. The company envisions customers wanting video feeds for environmental, agricultural and humanitarian purposes.
The company expects that the system should be fully operational by the middle of the year.
The four other space station astronauts, two Americans, one Japanese and another Russian, monitored the spacewalk from inside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!