Astronauts replace pump to tackle ISS ammonia leak
Moscow: Expedition 35 crew members have removed and replaced a pump on a cooling system of the International Space Station (ISS) that may be leaking ammonia, NASA said.
The astronauts -- Chris Cassidy and Tom Marshburn -- have removed "a 260-pound pump controller box that may be the source of an ammonia leak on the International Space Station and replaced it with a spare", NASA said in a statement late evening.
The emergency spacewalk to "inspect and possibly replace a pump controller box suspected of leaking ammonia coolant" began at 1244 GMT Saturday after a team of NASA officials gave the go-ahead late Friday.
The leak was reported to mission control in Houston Thursday, when the ISS crew said they could see "a very steady stream" of small white flakes floating away from an area of the truss structure.
The astronauts used hand-held cameras and, with help from mission control, were able to narrow down the location of the leak to the truss. They also determined that the rate at which ammonia was seeping out of the cooling loop was increasing.
Chilled liquid ammonia is used to cool the power channels on the ISS’ eight solar array panels, which supply electricity to the ISS. Each solar array has its own cooling loop.
The ammonia loop where the leak was detected is the same one that spacewalkers tried to fix a leak on last November, NASA said.
In Moscow, an official from the Russian space agency said the leak had occurred in the US portion of the vessel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says