Astronauts take impromptu spacewalk to fix leak at ISS
Washington: NASA ordered two astronauts for an impromptu spacewalk Saturday to find and, possibly, fix a serious leak at the International Space Station.
But Thomas Marshburn and Christopher Cassidy discovered "no smoking guns" as they worked to replace a suspect pump.
Marshburn has been on the space station since December and is set to return to Earth late Monday. Cassidy is a new arrival, on board for just 1 1/2 months.
On Thursday, the agency`s astronomers spotted flakes of frozen ammonia coolant drifting from the long frame that holds the solar panels on the left side.
Barely 48 hours later, the two astronomers hunted in vain for the leak as they inspected and removed an old pump. No new, major flaking occurred after that.
NASA had ordered up the fast, impromptu spacewalk hoping that ammonia flakes might lead the astronauts to the bedeviling hole or crack, which is too small to notice without a trail of icy evidence.
Despite the lack of visible damage, Mission Control ordered the spacewalkers to install a spare pump. The ammonia pump was the chief suspect going into Saturday`s spacewalk , and the fact that nothing amiss was found meant that the problem, in all likelihood, was going to continue to vex NASA in the weeks ahead.
Mission Control explained that there`s nothing to lose by putting in a fresh pump and pressing ahead with additional detective work, but noted that the mystery still remains.
NASA`s space station program manager Mike Suffredini said it`s a mystery as to why the leak erupted.
Possibilities include a micrometeorite strike or a leaky seal. Ammonia already had been seeping ever so slightly from the location, but it increased dramatically Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister