Astronauts to grow `kitchen garden` on Mars?
Washington: Astronauts on the first manned mission to Mars are considering to grow their own food in a hi-tech "kitchen garden" onboard their spaceship, according to NASA.
Supplying enough food for a round trip to the Red Planet is one of the greatest challenges facing mission planners. Now the US space agency claims the astronomers could tend "kitchen gardens" of salad and vegetables to cater to their daily diet.
NASA expects to launch its first manned mission to Mars in the 2030s.
Dr Maya Cooper of NASA`s Space Food Systems Laboratory in Houston, Texas, said a five-year mission to Mars would require almost 3,175 kilogrammes of food per person.
"That`s a clear impediment to a lot of mission scenarios. We need new approaches. Right now we`re looking at possibility of implementing a bioregenerative system that would involve growing crops in space and possibly shipping some bulk commodities to a Mars habitat as well.
"This scenario involves much more food processing and meal preparation than the current food system developed for the space shuttles and the International Space Station," the media quoted her as telling the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in Denver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez