Astronomers discover fossil galaxy revealing early universe facts
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Astronomers have discovered a new galaxy called as ``fossil galaxy`` which is believed to be a left over from the early universe.
Named as Segue 1, it is the faintest galaxy ever detected. It has a very small size and contains only about 1,000 stars. Also, Segue 1 has a rare chemical composition, with vanishingly small amounts of metallic elements present.
The astronomers also found telling evidence in the lack of so-called "neutron-capture elements"-those found in the bottom half of the periodic table, which are created in intermediate-mass stars.
The findings on Segue 1 also indicate that there may be a greater diversity of evolutionary pathways among galaxies in the early universe than had been thought.
Astronomers suggest that the study of galaxies such as Segue 1 is a vital part of progress to learn more about the Big Bang theory and unravel the histories of the Milky Way and other nearby galaxies.
The study has been published by the journal Astrophysical Journal.
(With Agencies inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'