Astronomers plan campaign to track ISON comet
Bangalore: Amateur astronomers and scientists plan to launch a nationwide campaign to track the comet ISON, which will appear in the inner solar system for over a month from Nov 28.
"Though the comet has entered the solar system in July and is visible through telescope presently, it can been viewed through naked eye from Nov 28 till December-end as it gets closer to the sun at a distance of 150 million km from the earth," Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samithi official H.S. Jayakumar said.
The Samithi is an organisation promoted by the scientific community of the premier Indian Institute of Science (IISc), headed by eminent scientist C.N.R. Rao.
As a sun grazing comet, ISON was discovered Sep 21, 2012 by Russian astronomers Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok by using a reflector of the international scientific optical network near Kislovodsk in Russia.
"The comet will to perihelion, which is closest approach to the sun Nov 28 at a distance of 18 million km from the centre point of the sun," Jayakumar said.
The Samithi is organising a three-day workshop from Tuesday at the IISc to generate awareness and educate the people, especially the young generation.
"We plan to have resource persons to train teachers and science activists at state and regional levels to spread the information on the comet and day time astronomy," Jayakumar noted.
About 50 scientists and amateur astronomers from the southern states will participate in the workshop to chalk out the campaign plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price