Atom smasher set for high speed bash by early April
Geneva: The world`s most powerful atom smasher will be brought up to unprecedented power by early April, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research said on Wednesday.
"We hope to have collisions at 7.0 TeV (teraelectronvolts) at the end of March or the beginning of April," CERN spokesman James Gillies said.
The EUR 3.9 billion (USD 5.6 billion) Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was restarted after a winter break two weeks ago to ready it for collisions at unfathomed energy levels.
The particle collider -- inside a 27-kilometre (16.8-mile) tunnel straddling the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva -- is aimed at understanding the origins of the universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang.
"During this first physics run, the LHC experiments will open up the biggest range of potential new discovery that particle physics has seen in over a decade," CERN said in a statement.
Gillies reiterated that the experiments would run for 18 to 24 months before another technical shutdown.
That halt would last for eight to 10 months while the LHC is prepared for the next stage, full power operation with beams running at 14 TeV, he added.
CERN`s engineers decided in January to change the annual cycle they followed with its previous, smaller, accelerator, which used to be shut down for four months in winter for maintenance.
Instead they were aiming for longer period of continued operation with the LHC followed by a longer shutdown when needed, because of the total of two months its takes to heat up then cool down the huge cryogenically cooled colliders before and after maintenance.
The collider was revived from a 14-month breakdown last November, following a technical glitch that put it out of action days after it was launched in September 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why