Bar-shaped features in spiral galaxies accelerate ageing process
Washington: Astronomers from the University of Portsmouth have discovered that bar-shaped features in spiral galaxies accelerate the galaxy ageing process.
The astronomers found that the fraction of spiral galaxies with bar features has doubled in the last eight billion years - the latter half of the history of the universe.
University of Portsmouth postgraduate researcher Tom Melvin and the rest of the Galaxy Zoo science team used classifications provided by citizen scientists to select spiral galaxies across the universe for the study.
Mr. Melvin`s group studied how the fraction of spiral galaxies with bars changed over time.
They found that 8 billion years ago only 11 per cent of spirals had bars, but by 2.5 billion years ago this proportion had doubled.
In the present day universe two-thirds of galaxies have bars. And the more massive the galaxy, the more likely this is to be the case.
Dr. Karen Masters, also from Portsmouth University and Project Scientist for Galaxy Zoo, said that it looks as though bars really are bad for spiral galaxies. As a bar grows in a galaxy, it is less likely to have any new stars being born and the galaxy settles down to a sedate maturity.
The study has been published in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader