Big Bang Machine’s first run created more particles than theory predicted
London: The results from the highest-energy particle experiments carried out in December at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), popularly known as the “Big Bang Machine”, have been published, which indicates that the run created more particles than theory predicted.
According to BBC News, scientists from the LHC’s Compact Muon Solenoid detector has now totted up all of the resulting particle interactions, and wrote about the results in the Journal of High Energy Physics.
However, the glut of particles should not affect results as the experiment runs to even higher energies this year.
The LHC is designed to smash together particles and atoms circling its 27km-tunnel in a bid to find evidence of further particles that underpin the field of physics as it is currently formulated.
The December announcement of particle beam energies in excess of one trillion electron volts made the LHC the world’s highest-energy particle accelerator.
That makes the new results a unique look at the field of high-energy physics.
The experiments, smashing protons into each other, produced a few more subatomic particles known as pions and kaons than the team was expecting.
“The level is somewhat higher than the most popular models had predicted, and it looks like it is going to increase with energy a little bit more steeply than we expected,” said Roland Gunter, a CMS collaboration scientist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US.
“I think it’s not going to be a problem, but it is one of the many things that we need to know as we move toward searches for the most rare particles and new physics,” he told BBC News.
He added that the “extra” particles will be more of an issue when, later in 2010, the LHC dedicates itself to collisions involving ions of the element lead, a markedly heavier pair of targets resulting in an even larger array of particles on impact.
“We’ll know much more about that in two or three months when we look at the next higher energy of 7 TeV (trillion electron volts),” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in